Distinguished Educator Award
2016 Recipient – Gerald F. Abbott, MD
Massachusetts General Hospital
The Distinguished Educator Award is an award that recognizes outstanding educators who are dedicated to radiology education.
About the Award
The ARRS Educator Award is designed to honor educators in the field of radiology with a track record of improving ARRS' educational program by creating and implementing new and innovative educational activities or improving on current activities that:
- Disseminate to radiologists and other health professionals the most current scientific and clinical information on diagnostic imaging, image-guided intervention and related fields
- Keep the worldwide community of radiologists and other health professionals abreast of state-of-the-art techniques in radiology
- Stimulate critical thinking and reflection in the science and practice of radiology
- Promote research within the radiology community
- Develop and supports educators in radiology
The award celebrates inspirational people who are dedicated to providing education that results in improved participants' competence and performance which ultimately leads to improved patient outcomes.
The nominee should have:
- A proven commitment to radiology education and ARRS' educational programs, with an attention to the needs and diversity of the various groups who participate in the programs.
- Made significant contributions that have resulted in educational programs that benefit the learner, the practice of radiology, and/or ARRS.
- Shown educational accomplishments as part of and beyond ARRS' educational program that provide models of excellence.
- The ability to identify the most pressing radiology education issues and offer solutions.
- An engaging presence that motivates and impacts learners and colleagues involved in the development of programs.
- A proficiency in teaching.
- Nominee must be a member of the ARRS at the time of nomination.
Nominations for 2017 Award are due by January 9, 2017. Nominations will be accepted by anyone who is or has played a role in the development and/or implementation of programs and services as outlined in the ARRS Educational Mission. The awardee will be announced at the following ARRS annual meeting.
Nominations should include:
- A cover letter that outlines how the nominee meets the criteria listed above and highlights the nominee's exceptional achievements in radiology education.
- A copy of the nominee's curriculum vitae, focusing on education-related activities.
- Between 1-3 letters of recommendation.
Send nomination materials to email@example.com.
Nominations will be reviewed by the ARRS Lifelong Learning and Performance Improvement Committee. Any ARRS annual meeting evaluations or evaluations from other ARRS sponsored courses pertaining to the nominee will also be reviewed. One awardee per year will be named based on the criteria noted above. The awardee will receive a framed certificate, acknowledging his/her long-term commitment to the ARRS' educational mission.