ARRS Melvin M. Figley Fellowship in Radiology Journalism
2018 Recipient - Meghan G. Lubner, MD
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
The Figley Fellowship is an award that provides one recipient per year with an opportunity to work closely with American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) editors and staff to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing.
About the Fellowship
The Melvin M. Figley Fellowship in Radiology Journalism is named for Melvin M. Figley, MD, former Editor in Chief of the AJR, and funded by The Roentgen Fund®.
ARRS offers an annual fellowship in radiology journalism. Radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada are eligible for the Figley Fellowships every year. Applicants must be a member of the ARRS when the application is submitted and for the duration of the fellowship. Figley Fellowships are announced in December of each year. The fellowships must be completed within a year. The purpose of this award is:
- To stimulate bright, promising radiologists to continue with an academic career, enhance their credentials, and stimulate interest in good radiology journalism.
- To improve the quality of radiology journals by teaching the fundamentals of medical journalism, train manuscript reviewers and future editors, and provide core teachers of medical journalism in radiology departments around the country.
Through hands-on experience, the fellows will be taught the fundamentals of medical writing, manuscript preparation, peer review, manuscript editing, the ethics of scientific journalism, and journal publication and printing in personal tutorials given by the AJR editors and by the editorial and production staff.
The successful candidates will each be awarded a maximum of $10,000 to cover travel and other expenses. The funding will be awarded at the end of the fellowship after the fellow has turned in expense reports and receipts.
Applications for the Figley Fellowship should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A call for applications for the 2019 fellowship will be announced later in 2018.
Candidates should submit the following application materials:
- A letter outlining his/her goals during the fellowship
- A copy of his/her curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from his/her department chair and one other senior person