ARRS Melvin M. Figley Fellowship in Radiology Journalism
The ARRS Figley Fellowship offers radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing through hands-on experience with the American Journal of Roentgenology Editor in Chief and production staff.
The application deadline for the 2021 ARRS Figley Fellowship has passed. Thank you to all who applied. Applicants will be notified by the end of October.
About the Fellowship
ARRS offers an annual Figley Fellowship in radiology journalism for radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada to work closely with the American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) Editor in Chief and staff to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing. The purpose of this award is:
- To stimulate bright, promising radiologists to continue with an academic career, enhance their credentials, and stimulate interest in good radiology journalism.
- To improve the quality of radiology journals by teaching the fundamentals of medical journalism, train manuscript reviewers and future editors, and provide core teachers of medical journalism in radiology departments around the country.
The Figley Fellowship is named for Melvin M. Figley, MD, former Editor in Chief of the AJR, and is funded by The Roentgen Fund®.
For radiologists practicing outside the U.S. and Canada, please refer to the Rogers Fellowship.
Through hands-on experience, Fellows are taught the fundamentals of medical writing, manuscript preparation and editing, peer review, the ethics of scientific journalism, and journal publication and printing in personal apprenticeship with the AJR Editor in Chief and production staff.
During the fellowship year that runs from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021, the Fellow will:
- Attend a three-day visit to ARRS headquarters in Leesburg, VA to meet and work with the AJR Editor in Chief and publications department staff
- Attend the 2021 ARRS Annual Meeting, where the Fellow will present the AJR Year in Review course with the Rogers Fellow
- Attend the annual Editor’s Forum
The Fellow is awarded a maximum of $10,000 to cover travel expenses related to the Fellowship. The funding is awarded at the end of the Fellowship after the Fellow has submitted proper expense reports and receipts.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- ARRS member at the time the application is submitted and for the duration of the Fellowship
- Earned MD or DO (or equivalent) from an accredited institution
- Completion of all required residency and fellowship training
- Practicing radiology in the U.S. or Canada
- Ability to complete the Fellowship within a year
The application deadline for the 2021 ARRS Figley Fellowship has passed. Information for the 2022 Fellowship will be posted in 2021.
- A letter outlining goals during the Fellowship
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from the department chair and one other senior person