ARRS Lee F. Rogers International Fellowship in Radiology Journalism
2018 Recipient - Sameer Raniga, MD
Sultan Qaboos University Hospital
The Rogers Fellowship is an award that provides one recipient outside the U.S. and Canada per year with an opportunity to work closely with American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) editors and staff to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing.
About the Fellowship
ARRS offers an annual fellowship in radiology journalism for radiologists practicing outside the U.S. and Canada. The purpose of this award is:
- To stimulate bright, promising radiologists to continue with an academic career, enhance their credentials, and stimulate interest in good radiology journalism.
- To improve the quality of radiology journals by teaching the fundamentals of medical journalism, train manuscript reviewers and future editors, and provide core teachers of medical journalism in radiology departments around the world.
The Rogers International Fellowship is named for Lee F. Rogers, MD, former Editor in Chief of the AJR, and is funded by The Roentgen Fund®.
For radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada, please refer to the Figley Fellowship.
Through hands-on experience, Fellows are taught the fundamentals of medical writing, manuscript preparation and editing, peer review, the ethics of scientific journalism, and journal publication and printing in personal tutorials given by the AJR editors and by the editorial and production staff.
The Fellow selects a project to be approved by the Editor in Chief. The project will require research and writing, and often publication in the AJR. Travel commitment includes: (1) a three-day visit to ARRS headquarters in Leesburg, VA to meet and work with AJR staff and the Editor in Chief; (2) a three-day visit to meet with the appropriate AJR Section Editor; and (3) attendance at the ARRS Annual Meeting to present the completed project.
The Fellow is awarded a maximum of $12,000 to cover travel and other expenses related to the Fellowship. The funding is awarded at the end of the Fellowship after the Fellow has submitted expense reports and receipts.
- Be practicing radiology outside the U.S. or Canada.
- Be a member of the ARRS when the application is submitted and for the duration of the Fellowship.
- Be able to complete the Fellowship within a year.
The application deadline for the 2019 Fellowship is Monday, October 8, 2018.
To apply, candidates must email the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline:
- A letter outlining his/her goals during the Fellowship
- A copy of his/her curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from his/her department chair and one other senior person
The selected Rogers Fellow is announced in December each year.