ARRS Melvin M. Figley Fellowship in Radiology Journalism
The ARRS Figley Fellowship offers radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing through a virtual experience with the American Journal of Roentgenology Editor in Chief and publications staff.
The application deadline for the 2024 ARRS Figley Fellowship is Tuesday, September 5, 2023. Please refer to the Application Process section for more information.
Sarah Kamel, MD
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Read the press release.
About the Fellowship
ARRS offers an annual Figley Fellowship in radiology journalism for radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada to work closely with the American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) Editor in Chief and staff to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing. The purpose of this award is:
- To stimulate bright, promising radiologists to continue with an academic career, enhance their credentials, and stimulate interest in good radiology journalism.
- To improve the quality of radiology journals by teaching the fundamentals of medical journalism, train manuscript reviewers and future editors, and provide core teachers of medical journalism in radiology departments around the country.
The Figley Fellowship is named for Melvin M. Figley, MD, former Editor in Chief of the AJR, and is funded by The Roentgen Fund®.
For radiologists practicing outside the U.S. and Canada, please refer to the Rogers Fellowship.
Fellows are taught the fundamentals of medical writing, manuscript preparation and editing, peer review, the ethics of scientific journalism, and journal publication and printing, in personal apprenticeship with the AJR Editor in Chief and publications staff.
The Fellow will:
- Meet and work with the AJR Editor in Chief and publications department staff. These sessions provide practical experience in the editor role and are typically conducted virtually over the course of a week.
- Attend the ARRS Annual Meeting, where the Fellow will present the AJR Year in Review course with the Rogers Fellow.
- Optionally attend the annual Editor’s Forum.
The Fellowship activities must be conducted between January 1 and December 31, 2024.
The Fellow is awarded a maximum of $10,000 to cover travel expenses related to the Fellowship. The funding is awarded at the end of the Fellowship after the Fellow has submitted proper expense reports and receipts.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- ARRS member at the time the application is submitted and for the duration of the Fellowship
- Earned MD or DO (or equivalent) from an accredited institution
- Completion of all required residency and fellowship training
- Practicing radiology in the U.S. or Canada
- Ability to complete the Fellowship within a year
The application deadline for the 2024 ARRS Figley Fellowship is Tuesday, September 5, 2023. To apply, please email the application components detailed below in PDF format to email@example.com by the deadline.
- A letter outlining goals during the Fellowship
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from the department chair and one other senior person