ARRS Lee F. Rogers International Fellowship in Radiology Journalism
The ARRS Rogers International Fellowship offers radiologists practicing outside the U.S. and Canada an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing through hands-on experience with the American Journal of Roentgenology Editor in Chief and production staff.
The application deadline for the 2022 ARRS Rogers International Fellowship is Tuesday, September 7, 2021. Please refer to the Application Process section for more information.
Francesco Giganti, MD
University College London
About the Fellowship
ARRS offers an annual Rogers International Fellowship in radiology journalism for radiologists practicing outside the U.S. and Canada to work closely with the American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) Editor in Chief and staff to learn the fundamentals of medical publishing. The purpose of this award is:
- To stimulate bright, promising radiologists to continue with an academic career, enhance their credentials, and stimulate interest in good radiology journalism.
- To improve the quality of radiology journals by teaching the fundamentals of medical journalism, train manuscript reviewers and future editors, and provide core teachers of medical journalism in radiology departments around the world.
The Rogers International Fellowship is named for Lee F. Rogers, MD, former Editor in Chief of the AJR, and is funded by The Roentgen Fund®.
For radiologists practicing in the U.S. and Canada, please refer to the Figley Fellowship.
Through hands-on experience, Fellows are taught the fundamentals of medical writing, manuscript preparation and editing, peer review, the ethics of scientific journalism, and journal publication and printing in personal apprenticeship with the AJR Editor in Chief and production staff.
During the fellowship year that runs from January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022, the Fellow will:
- Attend a three-day visit to ARRS headquarters in Leesburg, VA to meet and work with the AJR Editor in Chief and publications department staff
- Attend the 2022 ARRS Annual Meeting, where the Fellow will present the AJR Year in Review course with the Figley Fellow
- Optionally attend the annual Editor’s Forum
The Fellow is awarded a maximum of $12,000 to cover travel expenses related to the Fellowship. The funding is awarded at the end of the Fellowship after the Fellow has submitted proper expense reports and receipts.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- ARRS member at the time the application is submitted and for the duration of the Fellowship
- Earned MD or DO (or equivalent) from an accredited institution
- Completion of all required residency and fellowship training
- Practicing radiology outside the U.S. or Canada
- Ability to complete the Fellowship within a year
The application deadline for the 2022 ARRS Rogers International Fellowship is Tuesday, September 7, 2021. To apply, please email the application components detailed below in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- A letter outlining goals during the Fellowship
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from the department chair and one other senior person